Table of Contents
Benefit from We Got You Covered – Ottawa Roofing Repairs & Waterproofing Solutions. in Ottawa
In commercial and industrial environments, flat metal panel roofs and standing-seam metal roofs are standard. Although metal roof structures are less vulnerable to leakage, they can also deteriorate over time due to caulk and seam failure. A seamless membrane roof restoration system will eliminate the issue.
Even though metal roofs can last for twenty to thirty years, they will begin to deteriorate after the warranty duration is over. When it begins to rust, you would most likely have to pick between a repair job and a complete roof overhaul. The patch would only last a short time, and the fix would be more expensive than you would like to spend. Through repairing and avoiding leakage with a spray-on membrane repair, you can save money, time, and headaches while also extending the warranty by ten years.
What are the pros and cons of metal roofs?
Here’s what you need to do whether you’re buying a home with one or dreaming about adding one.
Several products are available, whether installing a new roof on a new home or if the old roof has to be replaced entirely. However, regardless of the roof configuration, metal roofs can be an appealing choice due to their durability, low maintenance, and energy conservation. Steel, aluminum, copper, zinc, and tin are among the materials available. Vertical seam, pre-formed tiles, and granular coated panels are the product forms. You can have the look of shingles, granite, tile, shakes, or vertical panels by selecting a style. Ensure that the metal roofing product has been inspected, labelled, and registered with a testing organization to satisfy rigorous wind, fire, and impact resistance rating standards. Please keep in mind that installation can differ depending on geographic area, vendor guidelines, and local building code requirements.
What are the Advantages of metal roofs?
Metal roofs offer many benefits, including:
- Longevity – Metal roofs can last anywhere from 40 to 70 years, depending on the material. Traditional asphalt roofing products have a life expectancy of 12 to 20 years.
- Durability – Any metal roofs, if correctly constructed, can withstand wind gusts of up to 140 miles per hour, do not rust or crack, and may be impact-resistant. Furthermore, unlike other roofing materials, metal roofs do not necessitate the costly repairs that other roofing materials often necessitate. They can, however, be checked regularly to ensure that no repairs are needed.
- Safety – During a wildfire or lightning bolt, metal roofs will not ignite and burst into flames.
- Energy efficiency – Metal roofs reflect UV and infrared light rays, which add to radiant heat on the roof’s surface, resulting in a 10-25 percent reduction in cooling costs.
- Environmentally friendly – Metal roofs not only have 25-95 percent recycled content, depending on the material used, but they are still 100 percent recyclable at the end of their life as a roof. In comparison, most shingle tear-off waste — up to 20 billion pounds a year — ends up in the building-related waste system.
What are the Disadvantages of metal roofs?
Despite their many advantages, metal roofs do have some drawbacks.
- Affordability – Metal roofs are often two to three times more expensive than other forms of roofing, have a much longer lifespan, and only worthwhile to invest in one if you plan to stay at your home long enough to enjoy the cost benefits.
- Noisiness – Based on the type of decking used during installation, metal roofs can be noisier than other materials during heavy rain or hailstorm. Adding more attic insulation will also solve this problem, but it can be expensive.
- Expansion, contraction and fasteners – When they warm and cool, metal roofing material assemblies attached in large panels are designed to stretch and compact. The lifespans of exposed and unseen fasteners, on the other hand, vary. Depending on the temperature, the neoprene washers and screws used during construction can decay and become dislodged over time.
- Inconsistency of colour match – If a repair is required or a home extension is added years later, it could be challenging to find an exact match to the original metal.
- Performance – Water will eventually do substantial damage if it accumulates anywhere on the roof due to poor planning or repairs. Low-grade metals can also be thinner gauged and less sturdy. Some metal rusts or dents more often in some climates or during a hailstorm or installation than others.
Found this article helpful? Please share it with your family & colleagues, as well as anyone else you believe would learn from it. If you live in the Nepean Ottawa area and need roofing services, please contact us here or call We Got You Covered – Ottawa Roofing Repairs & Waterproofing Solutions at (613)-325-5535.